Many might not be aware of this fact that India has world's 2nd largest mobile network in the world, in terms of number of subscribers and handsets both for mobiles as well as fixed lines.
India has world's 3rd largest user base with access to internet over mobile, is approximately 150 million.
Let's compare the above with the other facts we are aware of:
- Facebook penetration in India is approx 65 million - this means that mobile internet users are 2.5 times more than facebook users. This also means that most of the facebook users have internet on their mobile. Hence while running an ad using power editor, the marketers should choose to display ads on mobile and computer both platforms.
- Gmail penetration in India is more than 100 million. This again shows us a high potential email marketing targeting mobile users
In next few years time India will be at 1st position across globe in number of mobile handsets, subscribers and mobile internet users.
A strong mobile presence is very much required for every large scale business at national level. Though we cant expect a great ROI in terms of revenue and the buyers from a mobile would be quite few, atleast till the end of 2014.
Let's see how others have progressed in the mobile arena:
- ZipDial - A new and innovative concept which was seen gaining users few years back. Today its an established concept. Surveys, Votings, Demographics are the key deliverables - all it takes is a missed call. Many organizations are using this concept including reality shows seen on Indian Television.
- Facebook is allowing free access to its portal over Airtel
- From 1st July onwards, Indian Railway would be giving an option to book railway tickets through SMS
- Google is about to release a new algorithm which could bring down the ranking of your desktop site if your mobile site does not have a proper SEO done
Businessess need to look at mobile as an integrated platform. Limiting ourselves to only mobile internet users would mean opening up to only 10% of the crowd.